mobile nav
06 / 17

Lansing United draws in rematch against Dayton

WRITTEN BY: Griffin Wasik
PUBLISHED ON: June 17, 2018

EAST LANSING, Mich.- The streak continues. 

Lansing United extend its unbeaten streak to eight after drawing the Dayton Dutch Lions 1-1.

“We feel disappointed, like Messi today against Iceland, but we felt like we should have had it,” midfielder Kyle Carr said.

The Hoops wasted no time, taking the opening kickoff long to forward Leroy Enzugusi who had his shot saved.

In the 20th minute, Dutch Lions’ midfielder Antoine Ravera split the United defense and shot the ball with the outside of his left foot, forcing goalkeeper Anthony Mwembia into a diving one-handed save.

Enzugusi got another chance in the 34th minute from a Dutch Lions defensive breakdown, but he was unable to capitalize after he lost control of the ball on a breakaway.

Forward Kosti Moni found the breakthrough in the 44th minute, scoring off a cross from Carr. Moni collected, turned and buried the shot into the lower-left corner for his third goal of the season.

“I think Kyle played it, he always has his head up, he plays really good balls into the box,” Moni said. “We made eye contact and I made the run, he played a good ball over the top, I turned and finished it far-post.”

The Hoops went into halftime with a one-goal lead.

The second half began the same way the first half ended, with the visitors controlling most of the possession.

In the 58th minute, all of that possession finally paid off as the Dutch Lions found an equalizer. Defender David Lianes played the ball over the Hoops’ backline and found midfielder Jackson Dietrich who chipped Mwembia. Alex Ruddock, United’s right back, tried to clear the ball off the line, but could not.

“The ball was in the air and I wanted to catch the ball,” Mwembia said. “I didn’t see my defender come and it was just chipped into the goal.”

Midfielder Zach Tom received the ball from Dutch Lions’ goalkeeper Alexander Popovich’s poor clearance, however, Tom’s shot sailed over the empty net in the 79th minute.

The visitors almost found a winner in the 89th minute as Emilius Wendt dribbled down the left flank and was in on goal, but Mwembia’s strong right hand was too much.

Steeve Pouna, a midfield substitute, was on the pitch for 11 minutes and realized how big of a rivalry this match is becoming, as he received a yellow and then a straight red card in the 89th minute.

“There’s definitely a rivalry brewing and we hope we get to play them again in the playoffs,” Carr said.

Last week, in Dayton, Nate Miller received a red card and was unable to coach tonight.

The Hoops’ next match is Friday, June 22nd against the Michigan Bucks at 7:00 p.m. at Archer Stadium.