mobile nav
07 / 15

Lansing United Draws Detroit City FC 3 – 3

WRITTEN BY: Tori Twining
PUBLISHED ON: July 15, 2017

James DeCosemo scores in fourth straight match against Detroit City FC

HAMTRAMCK, Mich: Lansing entered Keyworth Stadium Friday night hoping to redeem themselves after a 2-1 loss to Detroit City last Sunday, but settled for a 3-3 draw.

The team started two strikers for the first time this season with James DeCosemo and Morris Kamara. United took awhile to find their rhythm, but defense and goalie Joe White stepped up and kept the Hoops in the game, limiting Detroit’s scoring opportunities throughout the first half.

Lansing finally broke through in the 40th minute with a goal from Morris Kamara in his third start of the season. Farai Mutatu, the 17 year old from Haslett, was granted the assist. Mutatu’s header found Kamara in front of the net, who settled the ball and picked his shot giving United a 1-0 lead going into halftime.

“This is so good for Farai,” head coach Nate Miller said. “This is how elite players are born and I’m willing to give him an opportunity…he belongs on the field.”

Mutatu added: “[Kamara] is one of my best friends, so it was great to see him score, and I’m happy to help him out with the assist. It was a big moment.”

United’s confidence carried into the second half and the offense was able to pressure Detroit’s defense early.

“As the game progressed we gained confidence,” midfielder Tumi Moshobane said. “We started moving the ball around and opportunities opened up for us.”

In the 65th minute, DeCosemo broke free from defenders at the top of the box, found an open shot and sent a goal into the low right corner to extend Lansing’s lead over City. With the goal, DeCosemo extended his scoring streak against Detroit to four games dating back to last season.

Moshobane also added to the scoreboard in the 68th minute with a Kamara assist extending the Hoops lead over Detroit to 3-0.

“I saw the defense sitting back,” Moshobane said. “As soon as I beat the first guy, I just saw a little gap open for me.”

City’s Omar Sinclair got sent off with two yellows in the 75th minute forcing Detroit to play shorthanded. Lansing had the momentum late in the second half, but Detroit stepped up and made the most of their opportunities.

The first Detroit goal came in the 71st minute from Shawn Lawson who was able to beat White and cut United’s lead to 3-1.

“Home field advantage means a lot,” Miller said.

Moshobane added: “Towards the end we had tired legs a bit, with a few mistakes that cost us.”

In the 79th minute, Detroit’s Seb Harris found the back of the net on a header in the crowded box, and Detroit tied the game 3-3 with an Owain Hoskins’ header off a DCFC corner in the 87th minute.

United didn’t give up and found a scoring chance during stoppage time on a free kick. Sammy Conti served the ball into the box and found some United bodies, but the team was eventually called offside to end the chance.

“What I know about this team is we’re not going to stop,” Miller said. “It was a tough second half of the season, but we are going to keep going. This was a hard fought draw.”

Mutatu added: “Lansing is my home, so it feels good to give back…You don’t always get the win, but it’s great to support Lansing.”

United ends their season with a home match against Kalamazoo FC Sunday, July 16 at 4 pm.